Monday, January 17, 2011

The Little Princess Has Arrived

Last Monday the 10th of January, forever changed our lives. That morning Eric and our home teacher gave me a blessing, we took Logan to Aunt Lisa's, and off to the hospital we went.
I had to be there at 10:30 am. The monitors were attached, IVs were in, and I was prepped for surgery that wasn't scheduled until 12:30 pm. All that only took about an hour so Eric and I had another hour to anticipate and worry before the doctor showed.
My anesthesiologist did a great job. Much more personable than those in the past. In fact the whole staff was. They told Eric to bring in the camera (which he has never done before). They asked Eric if he wanted to watch when they were ready to pull her out (which has never happened before). So just as they were ready, they told him to stand and look over the drape curtain.
With the spinal of course I can't feel pain just pressure as they were trying to get her out, it took some tugging. I could tell when she was out and just waited to hear that wonderful sound of crying. It is always such a relief when it comes! They whisked her off to the connecting room to make sure all is well and do what they do. Eric got to go with them. I caught a glimpse of her as they headed out. I couldn't believe all the dark hair. They were all talking about how much she had but it was more than I expected. After about 5 -10 min. Eric brought her back in so I could see her for a minute while he held her and then off they went to the nursery while the doctor finished up the surgery. Dr. Allen did the surgery, he has delivered all four of the kids. It was pretty funny, mid-surgery Dr. Allen was talking about how great my old incision looked and what a great job the last doctor did. He asked who did my last C-section? I told him he had done it. His reply was "Oh yeah I have delivered all of your kids" The whole room got a kick out of his smugness!
After about an hour in recovery Eric and Ava came in and I was able to hold her for the first time.
Ava was born at 12:45 pm. Weighed 7 lbs 8 oz. (which was exactly what I told the anesthesiologist my guess was during the surgery) and was 20 in. long.
It was a slow day on the Labor and Delivery floor so the nurses were very and attentive and helpful. The whole process of recovery was faster than the past. They had me sit up and stand that first night. The nurses made sure we stayed on top of the pain with meds. I must say this has been the best recovery of the four.
Eric's mom, Terri, picked up Logan, and the boys from school. She was so kind to take a couple days off of work to help with the boys. She brought them in to the hospital that night for a quick visit. They were so excited to see their sister! When I put Ashton to bed the night before he asked me what I thought she would look like? I said "I don't know maybe she'll look like you, dark hair and eyes." When he saw her he said "I didn't know she would look like that" I wasn't sure what he meant by that. I guess he has been telling people she looks like him, and how cute she is.
The proud brothers!

They didn't want to leave the hospital.
Eric on the other hand was ready to leave but he stuck it out till 5am. His bed, the recliner, was very uncomfortable!
My parents weren't going to come til the next week when Eric had to go back to work so they could help out, but they ended up coming on Tuesday afternoon. They came in to the hospital for a quick visit then head to our house to keep the boys.
I knew Eric wouldn't stay the second night so I told him that he couldn't leave till we had picked a name. We finally decided on Ava for the first name but we were still undecided on whether to give her a middle name or not. He left at 10:30 pm. We all slept better that night. The next morning I had to make the name official and put it on the Birth Certificate: Ava Mary Andersen (I just liked the name Ava and Mary is my mother's name)
Not my favorite picture, but you've got to have them for posterity.
Wednesday morning Terri came to the hospital to keep me and Ava company and help out while Eric and my dad loaded and hauled six cows to the sale (Finally! Progress), my mom got the boys off to school and kept Logan for the day. When Eric was finished with all the cow business he came in to bring us home.

Ava getting ready to head home.
The car seat looks huge with her in it.

We're out of here!

7 comments:

  1. Loved the post and the pictures Cheryl. Congratulations on a beautiful baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so cute! Tell Ashton I think she looks just like him. :) So happy that everything went so well and that she is finally here! Makes me all the more excited to have our little one here. :) Congratulations!!!! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is adorable. I'm glad you finally have a little princess you can spoil. Between the 3 new babies in our fam, they could be triplets. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cutie! all that hair! can't wait to meet little miss ava.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Cheryl. She is a doll, and I love the name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the post. fun things to re-live when you forget about it all. Love the pictures. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!! I am so happy for your family. Cheryl, I can't wait to finally get to meet you and your children. Your husband's mission to Indiana changed my life forever.
    Rechel

    ReplyDelete