Thursday, August 6, 2009

Yellowstone

We have been saying for ever that we should go to Yellowstone. Eric and I haven't been since we were young kids (forever ago). So we planned a trip (ok didn't really plan but talked about going the week of the 7th of July, I wasn't sure it was truly going to happen so I didn't "plan") We ended up leaving a day later due to Eric's work & cow complications. So we left early Wednesday morning. We stopped in Idaho Falls (after missing the exit) to say hi to Lee. He was at work so it was a quick hi. Then we headed to Bear World just out side of Rexburg (where we also missed our exit) We spent a couple hours there driving thru seeing bear, buffalo, elk (Hunter was very impressed with the albino elk- very rare - we had many conversations about it thru out the trip -many the same conversation).

They also have a petting zoo...

Then they have little rides as well. Ashton wouldn't go without me so I was lucky enough to ride too. (Two times was all I could take).

Then we headed to Yellowstone, stopping at Island Park for a late lunch, then continuing on to West Yellowstone. We finally found a hotel to stay in- Comfort Inn. They are pretty proud of there hotels up there..$$$$.
We then drove to see Old Faithful. On the way we saw Elk and Eric saw a black bear and cub It was evening and a bit chilly, we waited about 40 min for the "show". While we were waiting patiently Hunter said "Maybe if we have faith it will blow" The boys were so excited when it went off.
On the way back to the hotel we stopped to see a huge herd of buffalo. Which we soon learned they are every where. When we got back to the hotel we let the boys take a quick dip in the pool since it wouldn't open the next day till after check out time. The boys were so deliriously tired they were wound up and made the going to sleep, well ...lets just say miserable. (I'm not a fan of hotel sleeping with children).
We went the other direction in the morning thru the park we stopped and walked a 1.5 mile loop around a bunch of geysers. I was pleased the boys never left the board walk, it might have had something to do with the fear we put into them. We also stopped at the Upper Falls.
This buffalo was right by the road! We also saw a coyote, deer, & a bald eagle with its baby in the nest.
Logan loved riding in the back pack carrier.
How cute are my boys! (All four)
We then headed toward the east entrance and stayed with my brother Cordell and his family in Powell, Wy. It was a short stay but we enjoyed ourselves. It was fun to see their place and to visit. They boys already want to go back!
We stopped in Cody, Wy and went to the Buffalo Bill Museum. You could spend a lot of time there. We only stayed for about 2 hours. It had some pretty neat things to see.


We then headed back into the park and made our way to the south entrance where we went thru Teton Park. We stopped in Idaho Falls and had dinner at Olive Garden and then on to home, getting there around 10 pm. It was a long day of driving. The boys did much better than I expected. Logan was an angel. He didn't cry till about 20 min. from home. What a good baby!!

3 comments:

  1. Cute pictures! i am glad you shared your fun trip. We may have to venture there ourselves someday! We also keep saying that is something we are going to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I'm so glad I finally found your blog! Lori told me you guys had one. It's so cute! Your boys are adorable. I can't believe how old they are. We will have to get our little Logans together sometime. Yellowstone looked like fun. It's nice to take a little vacation once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete