Thursday, September 2, 2010

Bountiful Garden

Eric loves to garden and it can't just be an adequate sized one, it has to be out of control! I will attribute that to his many years of working on a farm. He is very good at it so I can't complain. This year we got a bit of a late start with weather and lack of time. Slowly but surely we are reaping the rewards of gardening.

Four of the rows above are beans. Eric didn't think it was anymore than last year but I beg to differ. I think the rows are almost twice as long. All I know is after four pickings myself and my mother and sister picking once we have been blessed with beans. After my third picking and canning I said I was done, but I felt so guilty letting them go to waste and picked again. My boys tried to call me on it "you said we were done", so I tried to explain "this is the last time you get to help me snip the beans"! They put a smile on their faces for the camera even though they weren't to excited about it.

I also tried pickling some beets this year, well see how they turn out. I have put squash, zucchini, and rhubarb in the freezer. We have enjoyed the fresh veggies, the tomatoes are just starting but I don't think I will be canning any this year since I have so many from years past, maybe a little salsa, it is hard to just let them go. Of course we would love to share with anyone wanting to make a trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment